At Kara Dodds and Associates, we realize that children benefit from a variety of therapy methods and approaches. As such, our team of multi-disciplinary pediatric therapists obtain advanced courses and trainings and specialize in neurological and developmental delays. Therapy is delivered in a one-to-one setting but also in small groups in a systemic, structured, but play-based teaching approach. Our specialized therapy methods include -
- Picture Exchange Communication Systems (PECS) is using a series of visuals to teach a child to initiate by giving a picture to a communicative partner.
- Prompts for Restructuring Oral Muscular Phonetic Targets (PROMPT) is a tactile-kinesthetic approach that uses touch cues to clients articulators to help guide them through a targeted word or phrase.
- Kaufman Speech & Language Protocol: is a way to teach children with apraxia of speech the easiest ways to say words until they have increased motor –speech coordination.
- Hanen Center: (More Than Words) teaches techniques on how to use visual systems for transitioning, requesting, understanding the schedule or “what’s” next, how to shape echolalia speech patterns and more in everyday activities.
- TalkTools: is a muscle-based oral motor programs designed to promote speech and improve oral motor (lip, jaw) by utilizing oral placement tooks (chewy tubes, z-vibes, horns, whistles) to improve verbal output, feeding, and speech production skills
- DIR/ Floortime: is a developmental, individuated relationship based (www.circlestretch.com) programs that are used to improve social connects between children and communicative partners.
- Social Thinking: Developed by Michelle Garcia Winners her programs target social skills programs with techniques used based on "ILAUGH" model (www.socialthinking.com)
- The SCERTS® Model -Social Communication, Emotional Regulation and Transactional Support (www.scerts.com)
- Social Stories: developed by Carol Gray, these method uses visuals and individual stories to teach social skills or appropriate expectations of behaviors through visual models www.thegraycenter.org), and Video Play Modeling.
We know that it's important for you to get the right care for your child while working within the scope of your insurance plan. Our office will take the lead on determining coverage and finding the best options available with your plan. Call today for more information.
- We accept San Diego Regional Center: In-home or office-based
- Anthem, Aetna, PacCare, Blue Cross, Cigna, Coventry, United Health Care and more..