More Than Words
A Parent Training Class for parents of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
More Than Words®, a Hanen Program® for parents with children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) has been taught by Speech Pathologist Kara Dodds since 2001.
With over 800 families trained to date, More Than Words empowers and teaches parents how to improve initial communication in the home during daily routines and activities.
This parents only class is offered once a week (6pm – 8:30) for 12 weeks. Individual coaching sessions are offered throughout stages of the program in which Kara Dodds work directly with parents and their children to apply therapy techniques learned in the class.
More Than Words Testimonials
“This program while it helps parents become more successful at understanding and helping their child also is beautiful because it brings real families together.”
-Todd and Dayna Hoff (Founders of Autism Tree Project Foundation)
Additional Components Parents Learn In Class…
- How to use sensory based activities to improve communication
- How to shaping echolalia (repeating of words)
- How oral motor and motor planning play a role in expressive speech
- How to use visual systems and “social stories” to improve understanding
- How to teach “Initiation” to get communication going and more!!